Even though I studied Spanish for years in school,I still struggle to use what I learned in any meaningful way.Sound familiar?Then you're in the right place.Idahosa Ness is a teacher,a musician,and foreign language expert who created The Mimic Method,a system to learn languages faster and more effectively.Although the program sounds quite revolutionary when you compare it to most foreign language resources out there,it's based on the way we naturally learn language through our everyday environment.
Our family travels quite a bit,so learning a second language is a big priority for us.I'm excited to deep dive into this process and ask all of my nerdy homeschool mom questions!
Episode Highlights from Idahosa Ness and the Mimic Method
- Why the Mimic Method isn't like the way you learned a foreign language in school
- The best ways to activate and accelerate the language learning process
- How listening to a foreign language may be all you need to really learn it
- The way nursery rhymes help shape language processing skills
- Why learning to speak isn't the same process as learning to write (and the order to learn them in)
- How to apply Mimic Method principles to learn multiple foreign languages
- Why the Mimic Method works even for people who have a difficult time learning another language
- The two advantages children have over adults when learning a language… but why adults can do it too!
- Ways to give kids the foundational skills to learn a second language without formal foreign language instruction (yet)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
More From 亚博国际Welln亚博国际ess Mama
- 184: Meta Learning,Speed Reading,& How to Learn Faster With Jim Kwik
- 237: World Travel With Kids,Worldschooling & Entrepreneurship With Wonderling Family
- 101: Critical Thinking in a Social Media World (What You Didn't Learn in History Class)
- 11 Useful (and Fun) Skills You Can Learn Online
- 6 Favorite Practical Homeschool Resources (My Kids Love)
- Lessons Learned From Our Massive Travel Failure
Did you enjoy this episode?What other questions do you have about learning a new language?Please drop a comment below orleave a review on iTunesto let us know.We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today's Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Fabletics,my go-to place to get high quality athletic wear at affordable prices.Here's a confession… as a busy mom,I pretty much live in athletic wear and joke that it's my mom uniform.But I'm not really joking,because I live in leggings,sports bras,and cute tops because they are so versatile and comfy.My current favorite is the Fabletics Power Hold High waisted leggings which are great for holding and flattening the stomach (especially after all of my pregnancies).I get them in black and grey so they can go with tank tops for working out or cute tops when things need to be a little less casual.I've even worn these with boots and sweaters or cardigans for dressy events!Right now,you can get 2 pairs of their leggings,like my favorite power hold ones,for just $24 atfabletics.com/亚博国际well亚博国际nessmamaon your first order as a VIP.There's never a commitment to order and always free shipping on orders over $49.Another quick tip: take their 60-second style quiz to get an idea of the best styles and fits for your body type and sign up for their emails to get access to secret deals and styles before they are released!
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic,a Finnish company bringing the everyday magic of mushrooms to our daily lives.If you visited my home,you'd notice my homemade coffee/tea bar in my kitchen.Above it hangs 8 wooden cups,called kuksas… one for each member of my family.These have become part of our family tradition as we often sip mushroom coffee or superfood elixers from them at breakfast or after dinner during family time.Wooden cup or not,I highly recommend all of the Four Sigmatic products and you'd also find every single one of them in my kitchen!Here's how I incorporate them into my day: in the morning I will drink one of their mushroom coffee blends,the matcha,the coffee latte or mushroom mocha with chaga.Throughout the day I sip their chaga,cordyceps or lion's mane elixirs on their own since these are all caffeine-free but have a host of benefits due including a major boost of antioxidants.Nighttime means their calming turmeric tea or reishi elixir with a splash of macadamia milk.Mom tip: I also always keep their activated charcoal lemonade on hand for the first sign for a stomach bug… my kids love it and charcoal always seems to help.As a listener of this podcast,you can save 15% with the code 亚博国际WELL亚博国际NESSMAMA atfoursigmatic.com/亚博国际well亚博国际nessmama